Teens participating in Albany High School’s Career Exploration Internship Program (CEIP) or have a flexible schedule and are able to enroll in the program or enrolled in one of the Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs may apply to participate in this Institutes. Through the Teen C+DI students are exposed to careers and work experiences in construction, mural painting and interior design and decorating. Once enrolled students will be interns of Mission Accomplished Transition Services. Student interns will participate in an intensive career mentorship and coaching program that also pairs them with industry professionals to work on a short term construction, interior design or decorating or mural project.
The Institute addresses the barriers into the construction + design industry, particularly for women and Black Indigenous People of Color, by providing aspiring teen tradespeople and creatives with the necessary knowledge, experience and connections to prepare themselves to follow a path that requires skilled tradespeople while making a positive impact in their communities.
Weekly interactive and student centered workshops are developed and delivered in partnership with industry professionals.
Time commitment: 6-9 hours per week (October – June)
Days + Times: 4pm-7pm, every Wednesday + Thursday
- work two times per week at our office
- some weeks, work remotely one day from home or other location
The Institute includes 2 parts:
Part I, the Institute (October – January). Student interns will:
- learn industry language
- foster stronger relationships with industry peers
- experience a professional learning environment while fostering an industry specific learning community
- whether or not the industry, organization, or professional role is a good personal and professional fit for them
- strengthen their business etiquette skills and knowledge
- learn about the career journeys and requirements from industry professional
Part II, the work based learning experience/internship (January-June). Student interns will:
- work on a project in partnership with a local company in the fashion, beauty, construction, mural painting or interior design/decorating industry.
*Project is dependent on the Institute they enroll in*
- foster relationships with industry peers and professionals
- experience a professional work environment
- enhance project management and execution skills
- identify whether or not the industry, organization, or professional role is a good personal and professional fit for them
- industry experience
- enhance professional network
- Develop team building skills
- Develop public speaking and professional writing skills
- Shadow local business leaders in their desired trade of interest
- Gain access to local inspirational industry professionals